Saturday, January 30, 2010

A hundred years from now, we'll be fighting over how much those pesky cybernetic manufacturers are charging for parts.

I'm a proponent of the "if the paper version costs $10, then eBook should at least be cheaper" side of things. There's a notable battle going on between Amazon.com and some book publishers. Recently, Amazon stopped directly selling MacMillan Publishing books of -any- format on their site. You can still buy them from 3rd party sellers, but just not directly from Amazon (oddly, I see Tor, one of their subsidiaries, is still available directly from Amazon.com).

LA Times article discussing it is
here, but the bit that had me chuckling was the Amazon.com forum post linked here.

When reading it, I encourage you to do your best James Madison impression.

When I buy hardcover, I typically buy from Amazon.com if it's my own money. Borders or Barnes & Noble are nice, but not my immediate go-to. The latter seems to be the nicer of the two because their every-day in-store prices line up better with Amazon's approach (aka "OK, we're not as cheap as some other places, but our aesthetic appeal is WAAAAAY better) and they don't make you feel like you have to wait for a coupon in order to avoid getting ripped off.

Even when I do buy from Amazon.com, I like the price of my book to be inexpensive and "fair." It fits the DVD model - if I pre-order, give me a great discount. If I don't, still offer it at a decent price.

No comments: