Sunday, February 26, 2006

Evolutions & Generations

My father and I finally went to see Underworld: Evolution... something we'd been talking about doing for weeks before it even opened in theaters. It was a good romp with a believeable opening for a sequel - athough how many "super immortals" can you kill off before the story gets boring and repetative? One thing that bugged me was a love scene right after a rather scary run in with the movie's "Big Bad." It was only after the scene was over (all the while, I'm thinking, "oh crap, he's going to ambush them right in the middle of all this and rip Michael in two") that I realized they actually were safe (for a while, anyway) and it was due to bad editing that I thought the danger wasn't (temporarily) over.

See, the audience was presented with:

  1. Heroes battle Big Bad and make a narrow escape.
  2. Sun's coming up.
  3. They hide out.
  4. They get naked (etc.)
  5. We see the Big Bad find shelter for the day.

Instead, 5 should have been somewhere in between 2 and 4... but that would've probably spoiled the mood and broken up the rythm of the typical "violence leads to sex" cliché.

I enjoyed the film as a whole, but the playwright in me was wincing at the love scene because it just seemed stupid within that particularly-arranged sequence of events.

Before that fine romp, the mrs. and youngling and I went to visit one of our good friends who's due to deliver a son unto the world any day now. After we'd helped with some odds and ends - getting the new car seat in the car just right, assembling her Diaper Champ and getting her internet back online (yay for geek power!) - I got a great 3/4 shot before we headed out.

No comments: