Friday, February 24, 2006

여보세요, 한국!

(translated: Hello, Korea!)

The Xbox 360 hit the Korean store shelves today (well, technically, I think it released yesterday our time over here in America). The guy giving me a thumbs-up is Ray, the account manager for Xbox Korea. My little corner of the building is occupied mostly by members of Xbox Third Party Account Management... they're the people at Microsoft who help make sure the game developers and publishers are happy, on-time and on-target. Practically every account manager in the world was in Redmond these past 7 days for a worldwide account management summit. Ray joined a large group as we all went out to eat lunch last Friday. I took this shot of him as we were waiting for desert.

Korea's an interesting market, as far as entertainment, video games and the internet go. The percent of the population that's hooked up to broadband (fast) internet connections is astounding. They also have some great movies.

We spent part of our lunch discussing which movies we liked. I got a laugh from the group when I said I could always sit and watch the DVD sets from
Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Laugh all you want, chuckleheads. It's well-written, iconic to the point of being profound, and, with enough viewing, trancends its apparent settings and stereotypes into a more universal and everyman sort of tale... Mixed in with marauding demons and girls who know karate are the struggles of growing up in American society, the influences of pop culture, the dangers of fearing the unknown (and the times when it's just smart to do so) and what true friendship really means.

No comments: